|Tangy, Creamy Tomato Spaghetti
||[Feb. 11th, 2007|04:20 pm]
Sharing recipes, experiences, and good times
(picture from Kraftfoods.com, because I still don't have a digital camera.)
Although this calls for chicken, it's flavorful enough that I think it would be just fine as a main dish without it. I made a few substitutions and have indicated them below (OR).
1/2 pkg. spaghetti
2 cups frozen stir-fry veggies OR 2 c. frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and peas + 1 fresh carrot
2 Tbsp. oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained (either 1 med. can or 1/2 large can)
1/4 c. Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing OR 1/4 regular Italian dressing + 1 spoonful minced garlic, 3 shakes red pepper flakes, and a dash of soy sauce
1/2 c. cream cheese
* Chop chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
* Heat oil in skillet and set water for spaghetti on to boil.
* Saute chicken until lightly browned--about 6 min.
* While sauteing chicken, chop carrot.
* When spaghetti water starts to boil, throw in spaghetti, salt, and (if using), chopped fresh carrot. Stir as needed.
* Stir in tomatoes and dressing with chicken, bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer about four minutes, stirring as needed.
* Throw frozen veggies into spaghetti when there are 3-4 minutes left to cook time.
* Add cream cheese to tomato/chicken mixture, stirring until completely melted and mixture well-blended. Continue stirring and letting simmer until spaghetti is done or completely blended, whichever comes first.
* Drain spaghetti/veggie mix. Mix in sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
Notes: Original source--Kraftfoods.com. This is really, really tasty. Very flavorful, very rich. Could be made with pretty much any veggies, I'm thinking. I may prefer the flavor boost my substitute for "Zesty Italian Dressing" gives. I'll definitely make this again, though I may try substituting yoghurt for part of the cream cheese. Maybe something to cut the acid level, too.